The poweraudio Forum is managed by a team of tallented administrators that have made it their mission to offer projects, schematics, designs and their advice free of charge. By making a small donation you can aid in the further development and running costs of this community. We thank you for the support!
Forumul Poweraudio este manageriat de o echipa de administratori talentati care au misiunea de a furniza proiecte, scheme, schite si sfaturi in mod gratuit. Facand o donatie, puteti sa ajutati la dezvoltarea si acoperirea costurilor de operare si dezvoltare a acestei comunitati. Va multumim pentru ajutor!

forumpoweraudio.ro

>> Bine ati venit pe forumul Poweraudio - Cel mai mare forum PROaudio din Romania <<
Acum este Joi Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

Ora este UTC + 2

Scrie un subiect nou Răspunde la subiect  [ 6 mesaje ] 
Autor Mesaj
 Subiectul mesajului: ultimate high mid driver?
MesajScris: Joi Ian 12, 2006 10:47 am 
Neconectat
User

well in some ways...

has anyone seen the rcf mr8n301? sealed back with chonging heatsink, nice flat cone to cut down on phase cancellation, rising response for horn loading, the only drawback is the £160 asking price. i was looking for a likely looking 8" neo and this is about all i saw by way of dedicated mids. i'm back looking at the 8pe21 because i'm having trouble with horn length on the 18sound, i want to keep it short to preserve the chance of using a passive crossover.

james.

Sus

Subiectul mesajului:
MesajScris: Joi Ian 12, 2006 9:03 pm 
Neconectat
User

Using a driver with an already sealed back would certainly solve a lot of issues but as you say, price is an problem. That RCF is well over twice the price of an 8PE21 (I can one for about £65). One consideration is the frequency range to be covered. I think RCF and 18Sound both do some nice 6" sealed back midrange drivers but they might push the crossover up towards 500Hz. Or require a too long a horn to go lower. I'd like to cross over at 400Hz maximum. An 8PE21 looks like it will comfortably cross at 300Hz on a 30cm long horn which I reckon is ideal.

Sus

Subiectul mesajului:
MesajScris: Joi Ian 12, 2006 10:32 pm 
Neconectat
User

30 cm and 300 Hz are indeed the magic numbers. i have spoken to rcf today and the list price for the driver including vat is £179.75. this sucks royally, but if it can be bettered then i think the driver is worth considering. the only other mid driver i could find in rcf's repetoire was the 10" version of same, that is a beast of a driver with some truly mouth watering specs.

i think in an ideal world i would like to try the following drivers:

- 18sound 6nd410 - £63.45 - small format neo, excellent rising response.
- b&c 8pe21 - £73.26 - tried and tested good horn driver.
- p audio sn8mb - £43.91 - cheap as chips neo, not a dedicated mid driver. promissing response but fs of 70 Hz is a bit low?
- rcf mr8n301 - £179.75 - sealed back, heatsink, excellent response, very loud, the daddy?

in reality i will probably only get to play with one or two. you just know the rcf is going to be awesome, but... £180!!!!

i found myself wondering thus, why plum for the b&c de500 over the 250 for the x-tro? it is no louder (as i understand), it just has a slightly better response and a sound to die for, and i love 250s! the price hike is 50% more than the 250. the high mid element is carrying most of the actual detail of speech and the majority of instruments, so why settle for anything but the best here too? the grand total of £450 per cab for 2 x sn 12b, the rcf 8" and a de500 might be one reason, and a good one at that.

i am looking at four cabs minimum for them to get coverage and for the low mid elemts to sum, that's nigh on 2 grand in drivers.

james.

Sus

Subiectul mesajului:
MesajScris: Joi Ian 12, 2006 10:51 pm 
Neconectat
User

DE250's all the way! Got two on 18Sound 1086XT horns and they sound sooooooooo good! The only difference between them and the DE500 afaik is the neo magnet but for CD's there isn't much benefit over ferrite. For prototyping I'll be stealing drivers out of my other boxes. 12NDL76 for the low mids, DE250 for the highs and probably 8PE21 for the high mids.

I think the plan will have to be prototype with the 8PE21 (Bluearan do it for £70.50, might even be able to get a bit more off that) and maybe try other mid drivers if I get the chance.

Using 8PE12 and DE250 brings the driver cost per box down to £310; a bit more reasonable. Obviously if I decide to stick with the B&C low mids that'll push the cost up for my cabs but they are rather nice drivers and perfectly suited to the job I reckon.

Sus

Subiectul mesajului:
MesajScris: Vin Ian 13, 2006 2:29 am 
Neconectat
User

oh right. i hadn't actually realised the 500s were neos, desirable in itself, but not perhaps essential. i do want to use neos throughout for weight reasons, but that is ideal world scenario. i'm getting specs of manufacturers websites and slowly programming hornresp up with every likely looking 6" and 8" driver. i had dismissed the p audio sn8mb prematurely it seems, at that price it's got to be worth trying.

you have absolutely nailed it re the sealed back of that rcf, it doesn't seem to want to play low, but i've only just started out with it and i'm not sure i've got it in correctly. it has such a light cone in comparison with other offerings which gives it a true midrange fs, i would love to hear it and see if it justifies the money, but why must it be soooo expensive!

i may have to send you some sheckles for some 8pe21s in order that we may get a good price on them, also then invest in some de500s. i can always build my x-tros if they don't get used here. i do utterly crave a pocket rocket system comprising of a pair of x-tros and 4 x 4ohm punishers driven by pulses and an ffa respectively. amp rack comes in at just over 50 kg including processing. boootifull...

the only pairs of 12"s that i have lying around are rcf l12p530s and eminence omega pros, neither are well suited to this project so shall also have to get some sn12bs in. how good are those 12ndl76s in horns? would any of their others do good? i am going to model the 12nw100 for a laugh, they're about the same price as that rcf mid, but what a bl.

james.

Sus

Subiectul mesajului:
MesajScris: Vin Ian 13, 2006 11:51 am 
Neconectat
User

I haven't tried the 12NDL76 in horns but their params suggest they'd work well. If you want to go one step up, the 12NW76 has an stronger magnet and higher power handling. The 12NW100 is a sub driver which might be a sub-horn candidate but not for this project. You might notice I'm a bit of a B&C fan, even have a paper copy of the catalogue to save going on the web all the time!

Fitted with a pair of 12NW76's you could probably run 2k of mid-bass per box!!! Shame about the price tho (£150 each). The other great thing about the B&C neo drivers is the linear excursion capability. The 12NDL76's have 6.5mm xmax, my sub drivers only have 5mm!

Sus

Afişează mesajele de la anteriorul:  Sortează după  
Scrie un subiect nou Răspunde la subiect  [ 6 mesaje ] 

Ora este UTC + 2