The poweraudio Forum is managed by a team of tallented administrators that have made it their mission to offer projects, schematics, designs and their advice free of charge. By making a small donation you can aid in the further development and running costs of this community. We thank you for the support!
Forumul Poweraudio este manageriat de o echipa de administratori talentati care au misiunea de a furniza proiecte, scheme, schite si sfaturi in mod gratuit. Facand o donatie, puteti sa ajutati la dezvoltarea si acoperirea costurilor de operare si dezvoltare a acestei comunitati. Va multumim pentru ajutor!

forumpoweraudio.ro

>> Bine ati venit pe forumul Poweraudio - Cel mai mare forum PROaudio din Romania <<
Acum este Joi Mar 28, 2024 10:29 pm

Ora este UTC + 2

Scrie un subiect nou Răspunde la subiect  [ 2 mesaje ] 
Autor Mesaj
 Subiectul mesajului: XO Freqs
MesajScris: Mar Dec 06, 2005 2:21 am 
Neconectat
User

hello,

i think the xo-frequencies should be known before starting to model thousands of loudspeakers. the freqs will impose the woofer and driver sizes
and from there we could start to develop. the frequencies should be chosen in a musical way of arguing, and not in terms of truckspace, driver-availabilty
and so on. i would suggest in a 4 way system: 70/80Hz, 350Hz and 3k5.
the components could be 18", 12/15"(x2), 8"(x2), 1", which leads to double 8"1"desiign as does funktion one and centauri (very nice design though, centauri).
I am convinced that 120 Hz is not the right way, if we want it really well and loud, we need four bands, bass lo-mids, high-mids, and highs.
finally very easy :wink:
cheers

Sus

Subiectul mesajului:
MesajScris: Mar Dec 06, 2005 3:42 am 
Neconectat
User

Whilst we could pick general crossover points to aim for, it would be impossible to set actual points until a final prototype has been developed.

For multi-way systems, I usually prefer each band to cover a similar octave range, and for a 4-way system this is about 2.5 octaves each band, giving something around 125Hz, 500Hz and 3kHz. For around equal sensitivities, this also gives around a 2:1 power ratio for each band, ie. hi-mids double power of highs, low-mids double power of lo-mids etc. A great deviation from this would put more bandwidth and power requirements on some drivers.

As many subs don't work that well up high, I think we are looking at preferably no higher than 100Hz for the lower point, and lower could be possible with the use of port assistance (such as used by Martin on their line array boxes. I think most of us agree that the higher the compression driver crossover, the better - possibly around the 3kHz mark.

The final crossover points would be chosen after careful measurement and evaluation of the actual performance of each band, and set for best integration of the total box. A custom 3-way top box I am just finishing for someone involved drivers they had on hand - 15" EV DLW, EV 1" horn, and ex-Yorkville 6.5". The 6.5" I horn-loaded with phase plug and the 15" was front loaded. After the boxes where completed and loaded, I measured each band in SmaartLive and overlayed the plots to determine the best crossover points, which in this case ended up at 80Hz, 400Hz and 3kHz.

If we aim for broad goals such as around 100Hz low end (say +- 20Hz), around 300Hz to 500Hz mid crossover, say 2.5kHz to 3.5kHz at the top end, we can adjust within those ranges for the actual box. I put more emphasis on choosing the crossover points for best overall performance, rather than worrying too much about the actual numbers. Many manufacturers specify differing slopes, orders and frequencies (sometimes overlapping, sometimes with what seems like a gap) within a given box to maximise its performance, and we may well end up doing the same.

Cheers
Graeme

Sus

Afişează mesajele de la anteriorul:  Sortează după  
Scrie un subiect nou Răspunde la subiect  [ 2 mesaje ] 

Ora este UTC + 2